A LOOK INSIDE DE GRISOGONO'S LONDON FLAGSHIP STORE, MAYFAIR
I've been taking some time to check in with Mayfair's most beautiful luxury jewellery brands. It recently dawned on me that although I must certainly pay homage to the jewellery and timepieces that are so excellently and expertly crafted, interiors within certain stores are also deserving of praise and recognition. When discussing a jewellery or watch investment, the interior of the store can very much make or break the in-store experience.
Although it first appears as though de GRISOGONO should always have existed in London's Mayfair, the flagship store did not appear on New Bond Street until 5th February 2016. Located at number 15a and spanning 85 square meters, the beautiful store features an interiors concept developed by de GRISOGONO founder Fawaz Gruosi in collaboration with London interior architecture practice David Collins Studio.
The store concept expresses the energy, craftsmanship and detailing of the jewellery and watch collections designed by Fawaz Gruosi, utilising classic details and proportions juxtaposed with modernist furniture pieces. The stunning interior design subtly references the aesthetic constants of the iconic de GRISOGONO jewellery within the interior architecture and furniture. The elegant wrapped metal framing that features throughout the store and connects the interior with the jewellery is based upon the iconic interlaced Allegra jewellery collection.
The three rooms of the store each have a specific purpose:
- Showcases a collection of jewellery personally chosen by Fawaz Gruosi
- Brilliant red chairs are an excellent contrast to the otherwise muted tones of the room
- Amythest tones and shimmering white, with panels of amythest dyed shagreen reference the material’s use by de GRISOGONO
- Polished dark walnut vitrines showcase the jewellery
The Stanza Del Tempo
- This room celebrates the brand's renowned timepiece collections
- Dark and dramatic in contrast with the other spaces throughout the store
- Wall mounted, cantilevered vitrines in antique brass sit against wood veneer marquetry walls showcasing the innovative and unique de GRISOGONO timepieces
The Grand Sala
- Has an intentional residential feel and invites the guest into the private world of de GRISOGONO
- Lined in pistachio-coloured silk
- Pays homage to Mayfair via subtle Art Deco references
- Fawaz Gruosi has personally curated artwork from the Opera Gallery by André Brasilier and Umberto Ciceri and two gold La Murina, Murano glass chandeliers, each one metre in diameter, and a selection of mid-century Italian furniture.
Fawaz Gruosi, Founder and Creative Director of the brand explains the strategy behind the opening of the new Boutique: “The London Boutique will showcase a number of Haute Couture High Jewellery pieces that are created by artisans in our ateliers. The combination of unique designs, traditional high jewellery techniques and our creative approach will enable us to continuously surprise our customers. London today plays a very important role for the market of high jewellery and a large proportion of our unique piece production, which ranges from 350 to 500 unique pieces per year, will be exhibited in the new boutique.”
Lewis Taylor, Design Director at David Collins Studio adds that “de GRISOGONO stands apart from its contemporaries with its innovative jewellery art-pieces. The creative use of volume, density, interlacing and chiaroscuro are some of the reoccurring characteristics that Fawaz Gruosi uses in his work. We worked with Fawaz Gruosi to translate these concepts into interior architectural elements without merely replicating the jewellery pieces, but creating a space that synergises and showcases them.”
In 1993, Gruosi founded de GRISOGONO. Driven by a perpetual quest for beauty and excellence, this natural born creative and man of impeccable taste shapes daring ideas with immense talent. Creative director of the Maison, Fawaz Gruosi is passionate about exploring unusual materials and exceptional stones.
23 years after propelling the black diamond to the forefront of the international jewellery scene, Fawaz Gruosi is today regarded as one of the most innovative creative forces of his generation. His bold, iconic designs have enabled de GRISOGONO to carve out a place for itself amongst the most prestigious names in contemporary luxury.