SOTHEBY'S: FEBRUARY 2018 DATES FOR YOUR DIARY
Alberto Giacometti Lustre Avec Femme, homme et oiseau. Estimate £6,000,000 - £8,000,000. Impressionist & Modern Art Evening Sale. Image credit: Sotheby's.
- Wednesday 7th in London: Erotic: Passion & Desire takes the viewer on a journey through the centuries with a display of paintings, sculpture, drawings, photography, books, design and more, imbued with the power to compel, shock and seduce.
- An exhibition of outstanding Spanish Old Master paintings acquired by The Auckland Project through Sotheby’s (until 11 February, New York). These works will feature in the collection of the Spanish Gallery in Bishop Auckland, North East England, due to open in 2019.
- Showstoppers including Picasso’s stunning portrait of his celebrated muse Marie-Thérèse Walter and several works by René Magritte in a variety of media are amongst the highlights from our forthcoming London Evening Sale of Impressionist & Modern and Surrealist Art on view in Los Angeles and Taipei, 6-7 February.
Under the hammer this week:
- Wednesday 7th: RM Sotheby's fifth annual sale in Paris during the world-famous Rétromobile show week includes an ultra-rare sports car once owned by French icon, Johnny Hallyday, the ‘Elvis Presley of France’.
- Following its unveiling at the 1956 Venice Biennale, Sayed Haider Raza’s Ville Provençale, one of the greatest and largest works by the artist created during the 1950s, will lead our Modern & Contemporary South Asian Art sale in New York (19 March).
- Inspired: Chinese Art from the Collection of Gerson and Judith Leiber is a recent addition to our roster of Asia Week New York sales. The collection was built over the course of seven decades and totals nearly 100 works of art, each piece testament to the Leiber’s artistic background and vision (20 March).
- Brooke Lampley has joined our Fine Art Division as Vice Chairman, bringing extensive leadership and expertise in the market for Impressionist & Modern art.
Lot 7: Pair of diamond 'Bean' cufflinks, Elsa Peretti for Tiffany & Co. Jewels Online: Part I. Image credit: Sotheby's.
Sotheby's Masters Week Sales Series
- Sotheby’s Masters Week sales series in New York brought a total of $82.5 million, nearly double the same series in 2017 and with 650+ lots sold across six auctions. Master drawings achieved an exceptional $16.8 million, led by the superb collection of Howard & Saretta Barnet.
Over in Paris...
- A Pop-Up Shop: for the first time in Europe, Sotheby’s will hold a selling exhibition of watches alongside RM Sotheby’s Paris Sale, comprising a selection of modern and vintage sports watches from renowned makers such as Richard Mille, Heuer and Hublot.
- Impressionist and Modern Art Online (23 January – 6 February)
- Jewels Online Part I (26 January – 7 February)
- Erotic Art Online (2 – 16 February)
- Jewels Online Part II (9 – 19 February)
Cover image: Jacopo Amigoni, Venus and Adonis, oil on canvas. Image credit: Sotheby's.